ABOUT THE NWMP BARRACKS

The North West Mounted Police Barracks will re- open for visiting and touring the building and grounds, Covid-19 protocols are in place for your safety as well as for the protection of our team of Volunteers, Staff and summer Students. 

Touring  the Barracks building will be controlled on a related groups basis and is managed on site by our team, on a first come first served basis.

The Gardens are in excellent condition and our Programs team will be on the grounds offering a range of entertainment, ranging from story-telling, to interactive and educational for the kids.

Barracks Admissions

Admission is by donation.

Barracks Location

Address - 609 Main Street, Canmore, Alberta
Phone - 403-678-1955

Parking

Free parking can be found on the streets and in the surface parking lots near the Barracks. There is a wheelchair accessible parking spot in front of the building.

Barracks Hours

Summer: 
Open daily, 12:00 to 4:00pm

Fall: 
Schedule updates will be released on July 15, 2020

Winter:
Schedule updates will be released on July 15, 2020

If you'd like to help us keep the Barracks open, please contact info@cmags.org to volunteer.

All hours are subject to volunteer availability.

ABOUT THE NWMP BARRACKS

The North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) Barracks on Canmore’s Main Street was built in 1893. It served until 1929 as the lodgings, office, and jail for the police officers of Canmore. After a period of private ownership, the building was acquired by the Town of Canmore and restored by the Centennial Museum Society of Canmore (operating as the Canmore Museum & Geoscience Centre). This process took many years and included the removal of damaged materials, the creation of a proper foundation, and archeological digs around the property.

Much of the restoration work was done by volunteers. Today, volunteers continue to be an integral part of the success of the NWMP Barracks, helping to keep this historic site alive and running! The Barracks was declared an Alberta Provincial Historic Resource in 1990. It is the oldest NWMP site in Western Canada to still stand on its original location.

The NWMP Barracks currently reflects the time that Corporal Clarke, his wife Dora, and their five children lived in it (1917-1929). It was their family home, as well as the site of Canmore’s law enforcement. They added the lean-to extension in 1923 to give extra space for their family.

The NWMP Barracks is open year round. It is staffed by knowledgeable volunteer tour guides.

Image